- This event has passed.
WALKtober Walk to School Challenge
October 24 @ 8:00 am - October 28 @ 5:00 pm
* Sunnyside (SUSD) schools are offered an alternate week (October 17-21, 2016) to avoid conflict with conferences during the regularly-scheduled WALKtober Walk to School Challenge week. This option is available during registration (form below).
Features of the WALKtober Walk to School Challenge:
- Easy registration. Any school wishing to participate in the Walktober event simply completes an online form (see below). WALKtober registration closes on September 12, 2016.
- Promotion. Posters and parent flyers will be provided to participating schools to promote the event. Schools can make announcements to encourage walking/biking, and the WALKtober Challenge can easily be combined with other wellness activities. This can be a week to highlight health!
- Include all students. Set up a meeting place for group walks and/or an on-campus route. Students who are normally driven or bused can participate as well.
- Fun. Be creative to keep kids moving. Make each day different with themes, scavenger hunts, etc. Collect and share stories and photos!
- Track walking trips. Use punch cards (also provided to registered participants) to track student walking. Collect cards at the end of the week and use them to distribute…
- Prizes! Stickers and small prizes will be made available to each participating school. The schools with the most walk-to-school participation will also be entered to win a new bicycle, scooter or other grand prize to award to one lucky student!
Register for the 2016 WALKtober Walk to School Challenge (registration closes Friday, September 12, 2016).